Monday, August 18, 2008

Working at Home


I have the opportunity to spend part of my days working at home. This allows me to spend time with my daughter and to avoid the cost of daycare. But the older she gets the harder it is to get anything accomplished.

You see as soon as I start working on something and I get into a grove she is standing at my feet crying or grabbing my computer cord to get my attention. So I stop and give her some love, milk, food, or a diaper change and then once she is settled I go back to work.

I start working again and I get lost in my work and after fifteen or twenty minutes I notice that she has not been bothering me so I look up and there she is. She is sitting on the floor taking all of my husbands DVDs out of the stand next to the TV or she is sitting on the floor taking apart the picture frame that was on the shelf in the kitchen, and I wonder how she got her paws on that. So I stop again and clean up her mess. Give her some toys to play with and I go back to work.

Another half and hour passes and there she is running into the living room with a roll of toilet paper and make-up out of my make-up bag.

I am starting to think I am going to need to get a babysitter to watch her so I can work at home. I have to wonder how moms with multiple children manage to get an hour of work in during the day. I love that I have the opportunity to stay home and work for a few hours a day with my beautiful, mischievous girl but I can't help but to wonder how moms get anything accomplished when their kids are awake.

I make sure I savor every minute I get to spend with my little peanut because I know in the blink of an eye she will be off to kindergarten and the house will be quiet again. But until then I am going to have to continue working at night and during nap times so that I can accomplish the things that need to be done.

No comments: