Monday, August 18, 2008

The City Life....We Thought We Would Have


After my husband and I learned we were expecting our first baby we decided to move closer to our family and friends. At the time we were living in Boise, ID and our families were in the mid-west. We knew we wanted to live somewhere exciting, but we just weren't sure where. And then we decided Chicago was the place for us.

Who wouldn't want to live in Chicago? It is a bustling city with so much to do. Festivals, concerts, sporting events, great restaurants, and an exciting night life. And who could forget the museums and famous landmarks our daughter would see. The anticipation to move to the big city was high and we were ready to go.

I was offered and accepted a job in Evanston, IL on the north side of the city. When we first moved we were extremely busy getting settled into our new home and into our jobs. A month or two had past and we still had not gone into the city. In fact, several months had past and before we knew it we have lived in Evanston for 5 months and had still not made a trip into the city.

So we pack up our daughter and shipped her down to Nanas for the weekend so my husband and I could go to dinner in the city. It was great to walk around downtown in the snow and under the Christmas lights. It was that night we decided we would make a trip to the city at least once a month.

Well that was in December and now it is August and we have only been downtown for a social night outing a handful of time. My husband works right off of Michigan Avenue and we still have trouble finding the time and energy to meet for dinner after work.

I had to laugh yesterday when I met up with a girlfriend who was in town from Ohio. She was telling me all about her weekend. She had visited Millennium Park, Shedds, and the John Hancock building. All places I said we would go, but I was embarrassed to admit that we have lived here for a year and have never been to any of those locations.

It is hard to find the time to take advantage of the city life when you live here. I suspect it is that way for most people living in a tourist town. It is so easy to say you do not have the time to see the sights when you can do it anytime. I guess when you travel and know you only have a few days to experience the city you make an effort to take full advantage of it.

So today I make another promise to myself. To take advantage of all Chicago has to offer and to start living like a tourist.

No comments: