Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Great Read for Moms


I was poking around the book section at Target when I came across a book that made me laugh. On the shelf next to the expectant mother books was a book titled "I Was A Really Good Mom Before I had Kids".

The book portrays the challenges and struggles real life moms face in a humorous and empathetic manner. At the time I read the book I was feeling guilty about needing space from my daughter. I love her to pieces but sometimes I just feel like I needed a break to get back to my old self. I realized this for the first time when she was just two days old. My husband and I needed to take her to the hospital for a quick blood test. My husband took her to the back to get her blood work done and I found myself enjoying my alone time in the waiting room. That is when I realized that every moment of down time, no matter where you are at, is enjoyable when your a busy mom.

I had envisioned motherhood as a blissful experience filled with love, joy, and happiness. I thought I would bring my newborn baby girl home and I would snuggle her to sleep at night and then have time to read a book before bed. No one had ever told me how hard the first few weeks would be. When we brought our daughter home for the first time I was filled with joy and excitement to finally have her home. I couldn't wait to tuck her into her new bassinet that I had bought her. She was going to sleep in it right next to my bed so that I could be there when she needed me. We would wake a few times during the night and I would feed her and then she would quickly fall asleep till morning.

If you are reading this and you have children you realize that is not what happened. The first night home from the hospital I thought for sure something was wrong with my baby. She cried all night and refused to sleep in her bassinet. As soon as we set her down in it she would wake up screaming. My husband and I tried everything. We walked her, sang to her, rocked her, fed her, but nothing would calm her down. This went on every night for two weeks. I thought surly there was something wrong. This was not what I had ordered, but there was no return policy at St. Lukes.

Now I have a darling one year old who sleeps through the night and allows me to read a book before a bed. That is when I finally read this book. I wish I would have read these stories before my daughter was born so that I could understand that I was not the only one who thought their baby was a lemon. Motherhood is a challenge everyday and the adjustment is very difficult. To any expectant mothers my advice is to read this book and to brace yourself. It is a difficult challenge but it is worth every minute of it.

No comments: